Thursday, May 11, 2006

I used to laugh at these stories...

Now I just cringe in fear that it could happen to me.

Apparently a lawyer in New York is being sued for malpractice by a former client. Now, while this is not unusual, the fact that the case has been going on since 1986 is highly unusual.

The attorney was hired to represent the former client in a divorce proceeding. It turns out that he was the second of five attorneys that this person would hire to handle the divorce. She has since filed malpractice suits against all five attorneys.

Despite the fact that the plaintiff in the malpractice action has consistently lost at every level, she has continued her fight against her former attorney. However, it appears that after 18 years of legal fights, the judge overseeing the case has issued an order designed to curtail her ability to file more motions.

For the full story, take a look at the article here.

After what happened to me yesterday in my family law case, I worry that I could end up like this guy, fighting someone off for nearly two decades.

No comments: