Monday, August 25, 2008

This Is What Happens After Your Brain Goes to Law School

So I am reading Lowering the Bar's post on the request for a TRO by Philip J. Berg. In case you have not heard of this little insanity, Mr. Berg, a Hillary Clinton supporter, is seeking a TRO to block Barack Obama from running for president because, Mr. Berg alleges, he is not a "natural born citizen" of the United States.

After describing the attempt, Lowering the Bar comments on the phrase "natural born citizen", referring to previous candidates who had their own problems, or at least questions, with meeting this qualification. But while reading this, I thought to myself, there could be problems down the road for some future candidates. I mean, what if a candidate was conceived through artificial insemination, i.e. in vitro? That would seem to call into question the whole natural thing. And then I wondered, does giving birth through cesearian section mean that they were not a naturally born citizen?

I wonder if Justices Scalia and Alito would stick to their guns then or if they would look to outside sources then?

No comments: