Tuesday, June 17, 2008

And people wonder why I despise IP law most days

So in the past, I have mentioned my dislike for IP law. Yes, I understand that it is important for the creator of something to be compensated for its use. However, I think that the way it is being abused lately, among other things, to protect vested interests over public discourse.

And the latest, if you have not heard by now is the AP's new policy. Apparently, if I were to quote from their article, which I am not going to anymore barring a change, it would cost me $12.50 for up to 25 words. Should I go whole hog, and say put in a paragraph or two totaling up to 100 words, I would be hit with a bill for $25.00.

As some people have pointed out, apparently the AP feels that they are exempt from the fair use laws in the U.S. Apparently, the AP feels that fair use is violated if more than 4 words is used from one of their articles.

No comments: