Wednesday, February 07, 2007

I Was Not Angry Since I Came To France, Until This Instant!

I was not angry since I came to France
Until this instant. Take a trumpet, herald;
Ride thou unto the horsemen on yon hill:
If they will fight with us, bid them come down,
Or void the field; they do offend our sight:
If they'll do neither, we will come to them,
And make them skirr away, as swift as stones
Enforced from the old Assyrian slings:
Besides, we'll cut the throats of those we have,
And not a man of them that we shall take
Shall taste our mercy. Go and tell them so.

So said Henry V on the field of Agincourt, or so sayeth the Bard. And right now, I feel like Harry did at that moment.

I got home tonight to find an email waiting for me from a former client, charging me with, among other things, lying to him and "con"ing him into doing things. I was prepared to simply let him go his way after receiving my final payment from him. Now I find myself hoping that he does not simply so that I can file suit against him.

I know its wrong to wish. My brain tells me that it is wrong to do. And it's a good thing that we do not live in the 19th Century in a state where duelling was legal.

I do not have a lot of clients. I have a new practice that is still struggling. But I still treat all my clients with as much respect and honesty as any other lawyer I know and more than some. I do my work on their behalf to the best of my abilities. I understand that sometimes they will not be happy with my results. I accept that there will be times when they criticize the results I obtain with the instructions they give me which limit my ability to fully represent them.

What I cannot reconcile is being called a liar and a con artist. I am, as my wife will attest, difficult to deal with. I have a slight problem with people in authority in places of employment. The one thing I have never been accused of, with any foundation, is dishonesty to a client.

I doubt that the client reads this blog. This person knows who they are. I hope they realize in the most painful possible way I can think of (which would in this case would involve them being sanctioned by the court for their decisions)(alright, I can think of other ways, but should they happen the police would look to me... and quite frankly my karma is probably already in enough trouble) that the accusations they made the wrong mistake.

Good thing I believe in Baseball and Justice. As Ace Hunter once wisely said, "It's all on the wheel, it all comes around." Bonus if you can name the movie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you stay in your feild you will experience this on a ground hogg day basis, move on.

Anonymous said...

really enjoyed the Henry quote.