Tuesday, May 08, 2007

So Maybe I Need To Re-Think How I Do Things

So I had another of the last minute hurry up and prepare for trial in an unlawful detainer case. The case wawas referred to me via the Bar Association. Although it looked like there was no hope for a deal, I managed to get one.

And for that reason, I have failed.

I did not intend to get a deal for this client. I was prepared to fight it out, even though there was a good chance of losing this case. The deal he ended up taking was not particularly good, considering hsi situation. However, I could not give the client that guarrantee that he needed in order to go all-in on the trial.

Was I scared to try my first case? Yes, absolutely. That, however, was not stopping me from giving the client that assurance. Its just simply the way I was taught to do business.

Normally that way works. I deal with a lot of disturbed people who, if I don't talk them down, will end up doing themselves more harm unless they realize the reality of the situation. In this case, the client had a good graps of the reality of the situation. He had a case, though it was not a bulletproof one.

I think what it comes down to is this: I think I may have allowed the client to choose homeslessness. And a homeless client represents a failure on my part.

No comments: