Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I will pay for this posting

But someone on one of the listservs I belong brought up a case that he has dealing with an engagement ring. Apparently, the potential client was dumped by his fiancee. He is upset, but she now his engagement ring, one that has been handed down and is a family heirloom. Understandably, he wants to get it back.

Now I remember back in law school, there was a nasty court battle over a an engagement ring, except that in that case, the guy had broken off the engagement.

Apparently, as someone on the group pointed out, California is much more sensible. The Civil Code here states,

§ 1590. Gifts in contemplation of marriage; recovery
Where either party to a contemplated marriage in this State makes a gift of money or property to the other on the basis or assumption that the marriage will take place, in the event that the donee refuses to enter into the marriage as contemplated or that it is given up by mutual consent, the donor may recover such gift or such part of its value as may, under all of the circumstances of the case, be found by a court or jury to be just.


Of course, had I been watching TV, I would have remembered that this was covered in Veronica Mars. So maybe they are right... everything I needed to know in life is on TV.

And if my fiancee reads this posting... the wedding is not being called off!

No comments: