Monday, July 10, 2006

A really large award out of the Vaccine Program

I think that I have mentioned the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program before. Essentially, it is a no-fault system where the injured person, usually a child through their parents, applies to the fund claiming that they have suffered an injury as a result of a required vaccination.

According to the DOJ, in the twelve years fo the program, more than 1500 people have recovered approximately 1.18 billion dollars. When I was in law school, there was a clinic where the law students could actually try the issues to the panel. This always left me with the impression that not a lot of money was involved.

Apparently I was wrong. Apparently a boy, aged 7, who was rendered a quadripligic because of side effect suffered from being innoculated for measels, mumps, and rubella, recovered $43.1 million from the program.

I'm sure he would rather be walking and not in a chair, but that is still pretty impressive recovery by his counsel. I wonder if the Vaccine Compensation Program will now be labeled a judicial hellhole?

No comments: