Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Furniture Shopping

A few years ago, I would never have had to drive to Santa Cruz to get a freakin' desk. Damn dotcom bubble.

As you may know, I needed a desk for my new office. Its sort of an integral thing for a law office (along with a couple of chairs and a filing cabinet). Now being a brand-new solo, I did not want to drop $300 plus dollars on a desk. I just do not have that kind of money to be tossing around right now.

So I looked around for used office furniture in the area. A few years ago, there were a number of places. The best of which was Big Mouth Used Office Furniture in South San Francisco. Unfortunately, it died as a result of a number things; the dotcom bubble bursting and Stapels/Office Depo stores among them. The few remaining used furniture places just do not carry used desks any more. One of the guys, who has been in business for years said, "Just can't find any in good condition anymore and people won't pay for junk." This was, however, not the idea at one place ($175 for a desk where the top was warped, the body of the desk was scratched, drawers were iffy and the whole thing needed to be redone is ridiculous, especially when the desk was not that nice when it was new!).

Eventually, however, I found a place. Only problem was it was in Santa Cruz. But I tell you, it was $15 worth of gas (since I was borrowing a gas guzzling SUV) but it saved about $150 in the cost of the desk and chair. Not a bad deal I think. The place I went to was Budget Office Furniture 1211 Water St Santa Cruz, CA 95062, run by Sheldon, Carroll, and John. Good selection and good prices.

No comments: