Thursday, January 12, 2006

Jury Duty

So I have now reported for my 12:30 p.m. jury duty here at the civil courthouse in the city. Now, I normally would love to serve jury duty, but this was not the best time. Could the county have called me during the four months when I could not get even a lowly document review job? Or perhaps during the 15 months when I was at my last job and had a steady income with a low over head?

But why I have not tried to postpone or get out of it? Quite frankly, I would like to serve on a jury. It would let me see what its like on the other side of a trial. Also, it would let me watch the "show" from start to finish. Although I have gone to trial on a few occasions, the only one I have seen through to the end was a bench trial which is a bit different, from what I am lead to believe.

So I look at this as a plus in a number of ways. First, its the right thing to do. I'm a citizen so its part of the deal of living in this society. Second, its free education. Third, it gets me out of the contract job (doing document review) for an afternoon.

No comments: