Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Musings on contract work

I know, I know, I know.

The first six months of being on your own is supposed to be the worst. Money for rent, money for office rent, money for new phone line, money for everything. And all going out. It would be nice if it would balance a little more in my favor.

On the upside though, a friend of mine gave me some contract work. It took me a lot longer that what I will bill him for, but I just cannot in good conscience bill him for the entire time (which is about 5 times what I did bill him for) because the work was only worth that. The rest of the time I spent on it was just double checking the code, the cases, and the practice guides so that there would not be a problem.

Perhaps I obsessed a little over it? Then again, I did tell him that I usually spent most of my time trying to figure out how to defeat the type of document. So it was very odd for me to draft one (and hopefully my friends will not find out that I did), since I kept thinking to myself, "Alright, if I put this in I probably can't successfully challenge it but if I put this in, then I definitely will." The one I refer to as the "Dark Prince" would probably laugh if he saw me doing the drafting yesterday.

Alright, later today I go to see someone about the possibility of some more contract work.

No comments: